.

Occupy Columbia Inspires Local Family to Beat Poverty

Huffington Post profiles one Midlands family trying to escape poverty.

Occupy Columbia, a group that joined others around the country to protest the growing disparity between the richest 1 percent and the other 99 percent, has become an outlet for one Midlands family trying to rise from poverty.

In a recent Huffington Post report, Jessica Smith, 29, her son and mother all joined the Occupy Columbia movement.

Smith, who grew up in poverty, is profiled in a series of “stories and short films on under-publicized Occupy sites.”

According to the report, Smith, who had never participated in a protest before Occupy Columbia, hasn’t been able to remove herself from the growing number of working poor.

Smith grew up in poverty and hadn't managed to lift herself out of the temp work, food-service uniforms and double shifts that have become emblems of the anonymous, working poor. At the mobile home, Smith relied on a well for water. She couldn't remember a time when she didn't worry about paying the electricity bill.

For Smith, the movement is her chance to take a stand against poverty and she has no plans to leave Occupy Columbia.

"I don't know what it is but I do know I want more than this. I think I'm at the point in my life where I'm willing to do what it takes to have more than this."

According to a report from The State, a judge ruled Thursday that protesters can continue to stay at the State House round the clock, but without camping equipment.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »